1. What is a Bitumen Driveway?


A bituminous binder being applied to create an asphalt surface.

Bitumen is a binding substance known for being strong and water-resistant. Bitumen can be used as a liquid sealant or when distilled down into a thick sticky substance, bitumen is used the adhesive element in asphalt.A bitumen driveway or road has a layer of bitumen sprayed and then covered with aggregate (gravel and sand), then sprayed again with bitumen. This creates a two coat seal on a bitumen driveway.

It’s important to note that the word bitumen is often misused for asphalt, which is far more common in Australia for driveways and roads.


2. What is a Bitumen Driveway?


A stylish entrance to a rural property using asphalt and wood gate.

Asphalt is the material most commonly used in Perth for roads, car parks and large driveways.

Asphalt contains about 95% aggregate (gravel and sand) while the other 5% of the mixture is bitumen. Bitumen is the dark or black viscous material that binds the aggregates together.

Asphalt driveways are known for their durability and affordability for large surfaces.


3. Asphalt or Bitumen Driveway in Perth?

red asphalt driveway in Perth

A red oxide asphalt driveway with white kerbing and a gate for safety in Perth.

When people say “bitumen driveway” in Perth, in most cases they are speaking about an asphalt driveway. Asphalt driveways are the preferred material in Perth for most large surfaces with high volumes of traffic or driven on by heavy vehicles – roads and car parks are great examples.

Many Perth property owners choose asphalt driveways over bitumen driveways for the low short and long term costs that come from the speed of installation, durability, and low maintenance costs.

Asphalt driveways are installed as one continuous length, unlike paving, bricks, or concrete that require gaps to allow for expansion in warm weather. This results in a smooth and gap-free surface to connect your property to the road.

Asphalt is a highly durable material that is resistant to water and root damage and is flexible to tension from heavy vehicles or environmental expansion.

Asphalt is a mixture of aggregate coated with bitumen and because of this, asphalt has more strength and grip compared to bitumen driveways.

Asphalt driveways can be installed and driven on in the same day and come in a range of colours to suit your properties style.


4. What is the Cost of a New Bitumen Driveway in Perth?

The cost of an asphalt driveway in Perth depends on several factors including:

  • If there is an existing driveway to remove or surface over
  • The size of your driveway
  • The colour and style of the asphalt
  • The layout and accessibility of the driveway

See our full explanation of the costs of an asphalt driveway.

For an accurate and free calculation of asphalt costs, you can request a free quick quote from an asphalt driveway contractor. This will give you a clear understanding of asphalt driveway costs and you won’t be surprised by changes to the price during the job.


5. Where to Get a New Asphalt Driveway in Perth?

NK Asphalt is Perth’s leading asphalt contractor for driveways, car parks and other large areas. We have been surfacing asphalt driveways for over 30 years and have a reputation in Perth and WA for top quality workmanship, pride in the finished product, the highest level of safety, and old-fashioned customer service.

We provide free upfront advice on your driveway project and can advise you on choosing between a bitumen driveway or asphalt driveway.

Get a free measure and quote for a new driveway in Perth or the surrounding areas in WA.


Get a Perth asphalt quote

If your job is 150m2 or more and in the Perth or surrounding areas.

Paul Calnon

Paul is a Director of NK Asphalt and has over thirty years of experience in the asphalt and bitumen industry since joining NK Asphalt in 1994. He’s an expert in all aspects of asphalt works - and can give advice on baseworks, kerbing and other site services. He is dedicated to providing the right solution for clients - and can give great advice on the pro’s and cons of different methods clients may be considering.