A hardstand area in Perth provides a number of benefits for high-traffic properties such as freight terminals, airports, storage yards, boatyards and military facilities.
The appearance of a hardstand area is similar to a road or regular car park, but beneath the surface, a hardstands construction is unique and purpose-built.
What is a hardstand area?
A hardstand surface is utilised to support heavy loads including machinery, large quantities of vehicles, and shipping containers filled with stock. The construction of a hardstand area often uses dense materials such as asphalt, concrete, roadbase, gravel and limestone, making it a sturdy, long-term solution for storing weighty assets for a long period of time.
Unlike traditional residential surfacing materials such as pavers, gravel, regular concrete, regular asphalt and grass, a hardstand area is far less likely to sink or crack when heavy loads are applied.
For more information on the basics of hardstand construction, see here.
Benefits of a hot-mix asphalt hardstand
Hot-mix asphalt is a versatile and sturdy material ensuring high-performance results no matter the surfacing application, when correctly designed and constructed.
So, what makes hot-mix asphalt the best material for a hardstand in Perth?
- Very cost-effective as it takes less time to lay, lasts longer and requires less maintenance than alternative materials.
- Asphalt oxidises after installation, allowing it to be used sooner than concrete, for example which chemically ‘cures’.
- Ability to support heavy machinery, vehicles, and long-term storage containers or pallets as well as high volume traffic.
- Keeps stock and machinery safe and away from water, dirt, and debris, plus prevents surface sinking.
- It’s resistant to cracks, potholes, plant roots and ants when compared to other materials.
- Safer as the asphalt hardstand surface has more skid-resistant surface in wet conditions and doesn’t produce a blinding glare in summer sunlight.
- A long lifespan means resurfacing is rare (every 15 years or so), most damage is easily repaired without resurfacing and finally can be resurfaced without full demolition and replaced, as applies to bricks and concrete.
- Looks professional and is attractive to site visitors, as well as potential buyers or property tenants.
- Ample opportunities to customise the hardstand area for greater productivity by having design/layout flexibility.
Custom hardstand construction
For commercial and industrial properties in Perth, a hardstand area almost always requires a range of tailored customisations to improve the functionality of the site.
Depending on the everyday operations of the property, an asphalt hardstand area may need one or more of the following:
- A water drainage system including soak wells to avoid puddles and flooding.
- Large, heavy-duty driveways to withstand the constant movement of trucks, machinery, forklifts, or any other bulky and heavy assets.
- Fencing and access gates to secure valuable loads.
- Easy-to-see kerbing to assist manoeuvring around the hardstand area, and for aesthetic purposes.
- Industrial lighting to avoid accidents.
- Painted car parking bays, directional markings, and other safety requirements.
Perth hardstand area experts
If you’re in the market for professional hardstand construction in Perth or a surrounding area, NK Asphalt are the leading contractors. For over 30 years since 1989, we have been completing high-quality asphalt hardstand installations for a huge variety of commercial and industrial properties. Our works are always on-time and on-budget, whilst looking great and providing excellent value.
To get a free measure and quote on hardstand construction, driveway surfacing, or any other asphalt project greater than 150m2 , get in touch with the friendly team at NK Asphalt.share